Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Elisabeth's Rational and Irrational Fears--Part 3


Tonight I experienced one of my fears: something spicy in my eye.
I never thought it would be so painful to have a red chili pepper flake in my eye, but let me tell ya, it ain't no picnic.
We were finishing our dinner and I rubbed my itchy allergy eyes--without thinking, of course. I dropped the plates I was holding and ran inside to get some water.
Jon ran into the kitchen as I was freaking out and crying for help, at first he didn't know what was going on, he thought I just got a piece of dust or something stuck in there. I could hardly open my eye, it was burning so bad, and I just could not make myself open it! I was balling like a baby and yelling for him to help me, he finally says, "You need to CALM DOWN!"
Then I started flushing and flushing with water, trying to get it out (I wasn't even sure there was an "it" to be gotten--maybe it was just the chili residue from my fingers?) but then I realized too late that I had cranked the HOT water instead of the cold, so that made it just a little worse. About ten minutes later I am still flushing my eye and I mentioned again that it stinks to have a chili flake in your eye. Jon goes, "What?! No wonder you're freaking out!"
I finally gave up on the flushing and was walking around with it still burning (it has to stop eventually, right), when I felt something come down from under my eyelid--it was a RED chili pepper flake.
Needless to say, I ran outside to show Jon.
I think I prefer to keep the spicy stuff out of my eyes, next time!

5 comments:

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

So sorry honey girl...mom

Mel (AKA Dad, Papa Mel, Grampa) said...

seriously...spicy stuff in food, not eye! can't wait to see you!!! (this is april...)

Sarah said...

Girl that stinks!!! ouch to say the least. Now if you are ever on an episode of 24, captured and tortured with chili flakes you can say piece of cake!! hehehe

Jeff and Aimee said...

Was your neti-pot handy? Perhaps that would have been an effective flushing technique. :)

Purpose said...

i have a new irrational fear to add: a brown recluse spider crawling over your face, while you are minding your own business, sleeping. and then biting you. and leaving two holes in your forehead. and then revisiting you a few weeks later, just to top it off.