Thursday, August 24, 2006

A FULL DINNER

Pregnant bodies are amazing things, created by the Creator to nurture, foster, develop, feed, and protect these little ones until they are ready to breathe and eat on their own...
Tonight at dinner we showed the kids the pictures we got of the first ultrasound (I am just 9 1/2 weeks along).
Ava kept asking, "Is the baby gonna come out today??" With that cute little look she gives where she tilts her head down and looks at you out of the top of her eyes (You're missing out if you haven't seen that one).
And we explained yet again that the baby needs to stay inside Momma until it's big enough to come out. Jonah said, "Yeah, but how's that BIG BABY (insert hand motions here) gonna come out of your mouth?!"
I said, "Out of my mouth? Um, we'll have to talk about that one later, Joe, eat your dinner."

And looking at the photo of baby, with a little head and little arms and legs that were just buds a week ago, and just realizing that we have such a huge responsibility before us...That we are our children's first encounter with THE WORLD. That they see things partly through how we present them. That we care for, nurture, and protect these little ones while trying to present them with a worldview the Lord would be pleased with. That while trying to be their conscience we are teaching them to listen to the whispers of the Spirit already.
And I was justifiably overwhelmed. What a blessing and a miracle!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi Elisabeth,
Reading your comments today brought me right back to when I was pregnant with Sarah. I remember the feelings of blessing beyond compare and overwhelming responsibility. How grateful I am for the many who help Jim and I in raising Sarah...family, friends, teachers, pastors, etc.

In a world that often disregards children and their value, your thoughts and feelings on your developing child are a blessing to me today.

Laura