Monday, August 06, 2007

Currently Reading...

My sister April lent me (elisabeth) "The New Friars", by Scott A. Bessenecker. It has been remarkable and is challenging the way I think about poor people. The sub-title is "The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor." Read an excerpt here, or a book review by a much better writer than myself here. I think it's really interesting that we in America are so interested in serving ourselves (me included!) that we often forget that Jesus said when we serve the least of these, we serve Him.
"'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited me in; naked, and you clothed me; I was sick, and you visited me; I was in prison, and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even to the least of them, you did it to Me.'" Matthew 25:35-36
The people highlighted in this book go to the poorest of the poor in order to serve them and to share the love of the Father. My oldest sister did this when she lived in India for four months and she is currently planning to move to Romania early next year in order to continue in the same spirit of service. Her friend Heather whom she met in Seattle many years ago is one of the missionaries highlighted in the book and serves prostitutes in the slums of El Alto in Bolivia. These "New Friars" amaze and challenge me to greater holiness in my own life and to figure out practical ways that I can serve or change even here in Southeast Portland.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi Elisabeth,

Thanks for posting information about this book and for asking "the tough questions". I need to be reminded of the way Jesus lived his life here on earth and ask myself what more I can be doing - as you say to think beyond the "me" level.

thanks,
Laura