Monday, December 31, 2007

As Requested...

My mom used to dress my sisters and me up every year and we would all go to the Holland Festival at Redlands Christian School. My sister JoAnna still takes her kids there every May to this day (they also attend school there just like all my sisters). Anyways, the best treat there was the Olibolen, a few small Dutch donuts put in a brown paper sack with powdered sugar--we would shake the bag until they were covered in the sugar and eat them warm...I have so many fond memories of those festivals and this is just one of them.
It turns out that Jon's mom Louise has made these for many years as well (they grew up calling them "Rolnas", a nickname given to them by Jerry, Jon's dad). About three years ago Louise and I tested each other's recipes for Olibolen. Here is the winner:
Olibolen:
Proof yeast by combining a packet of yeast and 1/2 C water with 1 tsp sugar. Let foam up in a warm spot for about 5-10 minutes to make sure the yeast is active. Then...
Put all these ingredients in a bowl:
2 C milk
2 eggs
1/4 C butter
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp salt
Add the yeast combo
Add 4-5 C flour (add until barely sticky)
Can split dough into parts at this point and add different things such as chocolate chips, raisins and apple chunks, nuts, cinnamon, whatever you want. Traditionally with raisins and grated apple.
Cover and let rise for a while (like an hour and half or so) until doubles in size.
Heat up vegetable oil in a pot until 350 degrees (or can use a deep fryer--heehee-now you know why we make them only once a year!).
Drop the dough by spoonfuls into the hot oil--do not overcrowd the pot and drop the temp.
Fry until brown on all sides.
Cover with warm glaze (recipe follows) or can dust with powdered sugar. YUM!

Glaze:
1/2 C butter
1 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 C sugar
1/2 C milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Dump all ingredients into a small saucepan and let boil for 5-10 minutes.
Keep simmering
Dip hot the Olibolen into the glaze with a large spoon and let drain on a cookie rack or tray. Will be hot!! Let cool a few minutes before you completely scorch your mouth...I hope you enjoy them as much as Jonah does!

3 comments:

Dana said...

thanks for the recipe! definitely going to have to try this =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe - I haven't had these for years, but I've been missing them. I think I might try them for Easter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe - I haven't had these for years, but I've been missing them. I think I might try them for Easter.