Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Muffin Morning

 We woke up to some wet ground this morning....so of course, in order to celebrate what could potentially be the onset of fall, I lit some candles and made some muffins...after searching long and hard online (and on Pinterest), I finally found a recipe that looked worth converting to gluten free.   
(revised from Joy the Baker)



Brown Butter Maple Raspberry GF Muffins
7 Tbsp butter
1/3 C milk 
1 large egg
1 egg yolk 
1 tsp Mapleine (I was out of vanilla)
3/4 C sugar (I used a bit less)
1 C GF Flour blend **
1/4 C Flax meal
1/4 Sorghum flour*
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 C berries (recipe called for blueberries which I love with browned butter but when I opened the freezer the blues were almost gone and all I had was raspberries...they still tasted amazing in here!)

Brown the butter in a small skillet by melting then after it foams it turns nutty and brown very quickly...don't walk away!  Remove skillet from heat and let cool while you mix the other ingredients. 

Whisk together the milk, eggs, maple or vanilla, and sugar in a bowl.  
In a seperate bowl whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sea salt.  

Slowly pour the browned butter into the liquid ingredients, whisking all the while.  
Add the wet to the dry ingredients, then stir in the berries.  

Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes.  

*Sorghum is a sweeter GF flour and works well in baked goods.  If you don't have it, just sub in a GF flour blend.  The original recipe did not call for the sorghum, but I think it makes a lighter crumb on a GF muffin to add it in.  Neither did the original recipe call for flax meal...I just like it.

**I use a very easy and inexpensive GF flour blend.  Here is the recipe:
3 C brown rice flour
1 C potato or corn starch 
1/2 C tapioca flour 
Blend well with a whisk then a spoon to make sure it incorporates fully.  Store in an airtight container (some people store in the fridge, and I probably should, but don't...)


No comments: