Thursday, April 02, 2009

Chai Tea

I posted about this yummy homemade Chai Tea on facebook, and a few people asked for the recipe. I got it from a catalog I subscribe to at Beeyoutiful.com.
So I thought I would post it here.
Here goes:
4 Cups Water
3-4 T Evaporated Cane Juice or Rapadura
1 Toe of fresh ginger, grated or diced finely
2-3 Cinnamon sticks
8-10 Whole Cloves
1 tsp Cardamom
1 tsp Nutmeg
Pinch of Tumeric
Pinch of Black Pepper
4 T Loose Black Tea or Black Tea Bags
1 tsp Pure Vanilla (a vanilla bean would prob work, too)
Cream or Milk

Add water, Rapadura or other sweetener and spices to a 2-3 quart pot and bring to a slow boil. After about 15-20 minutes, add loose tea or tea bags and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes (I covered my pot at this point so I didn't loose too much of the liquid). Remove from heat and strain through a tigh mesh strainer into a 4 cup measuring cup. Stir in vanilla. Some of your liquid may have boiled away. Add back enough hot water to make 4 cups of tea. Serve with 1/4 cup warm cream or milk in each cup. I cooled mine in open jars and stuck it in the fridge to enjoy for a couple of days. Makes about 5-6 cups of Chai.
UPDATE: I will definitely make this stronger using more black tea and trying to save my liquids in the beginning rather than adding water back in. Also, just add a teensy bit of cream.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds delicious, Elisabeth. Thanks for posting this :)

Laura :)

Chris and Megan Probasco said...

hey Elisabeth...so glad you posted this, chai is my absolute favorite!! But for the vanilla - do mean real vanilla bean or vanilla extract. Might sound like a dumb question but I was just wondering :-) Hope you guys are well and we are so stoked for little brawley boy!! Love, meg and chris